HOME
HISTORY
BIOGRAPHIES
ANALYTICS
MAPS
LIBRARY
LINKS
ABOUT ME

 

MYTHOLOGY
MILITARY HISTORY
CAPITALS
CHURCHES
COINS
DIASPORA-SPYURQ
KINGS
GALLERY
KARABAKH
JAVAKHK

 

 

 

 

 

Khatoghike Church
Katoghike

Holy Mother of God Kathoghike Church

 

 

Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited

 

 

KatoghikeKhatoghike Church - was located  at the intersection of the Abovyan and Sayat-Nova streets. It was built after the big earthquake, during the years 1693-1695. Built with tufa-stone and cement, it belonged to the three-nave basilica type without a dome. Considering the sizes of its prayer hall (14.0 x 19.3 m), and its outside perimeter (16.4 x 28.4 m), it was perhaps one of the most capacious churches of old Yerevan. The church had entrances on both the southern and western sides.
    Khatoghike inscriptionsThe walls of the Church lacked the usual means of architectural expression, save the khachkars (cross-stones) that appeared on its walls here and there dating back to the years 1679, 1693, 1694, and 1695.Katoghike wall
    When the walls were demolished, old khachkars were found in them referring to the years 1472, 1641 and 1642. According to historical studies there had been a church on the same site of the present church traditionally called “St. Astvatsatsin Church”.
    The hypothesis related to the existence of this old church was Khatoghike Khachkarscompletely confirmed during the demolition of the St. Katoghike Church, when the southern and northern walls to which the two vestries were annexed were opened. The oldest inscriptions found on these walls date back to 1264. There are inscriptions engraved on the western façade dating back to the years 1284, 1229 and to the sixteenth century, whereas on the northern walls the inscriptions refer to the year 1609. Consequently, a chapel has probably been built early in the 17th century at the Khatoghike Khachkarswestern side of the St. Astvatsatsin Church at whose site the building of the St. Katoghike Church was erected toward the end of the same century. This finding was significant in that it confirms the conclusion that the St. Astvatsatsin Church was the only one of the churches of Yerevan that survived and stood firm after the earthquake.
    The St. Astvatsatsin Church, which continues to bear the name of “St. Katoghike”, is relatively of small size (5.4 x 7.5 m). Due to the very limited facilities it can offer for the required church rituals, it serves only as a chapel – merely a prayer house.

 Photos of Katoghike Church Katogike, Khatogike

 

Katoghike church

Katoghike Church - View

Katoghike

The building seen in this picture (behind the church) was torn down

Church wall with Armenian inscriptions

Church wall with Armenian inscriptions

Inside of the church

Katoghike church's khachkar

church's Khachkars

Inside fo the church, picture of apostle

Inside fo the church, picture of apostle

This text is about church's history, it was inside of the church

Old picture of Katoghike

Old picture of the church

Old picture of the church

Old picture of the church's wall

Old picture of the church's wall

Inside of the Church - Old picture

Katoghike Church Structure

 

SOURCES

armenian-history.com

araratian-tem.am

 

 

BACK HOME UP NEXT

 

Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited
 

Copyright©2003-2008, Yerevan, Armenia

All rights reserved 

Smbat Minasyan : E-mail

Armenian Top Web Sites Statistics & Rating